Wood inlay Sadaji Uchida 5
- ━ You haven’t made an exhibition yourself have you?
- When someone asks me to do so I do, but I haven’t done it on my own accord, a craftsman should not do it, rather devote their time to their craft. After making Ukiyoe, coverage of my work increased, but nothing changed.
- ━ Because of your excellent craftsmanship and commitment to your work you got the Kunrokutouzuihoushou prize. How did you feel?
- If I said I wasn’t happy I would be lying, it was possible because of my wife.
- ━ If young people asked you to teach them, what would you do?
- Of course I would be grateful but it is impossible now, I can’t teach.
- ━ Finally, when you think back over your life, are you happy with what you have achieved?
Not yet, like I said I have never been satisfied, because I cannot make the perfect jigsaw, and I don’t want to leave a piece only half finished. If I could make the perfect jigsaw I’d like to try and make a picture of Buddha.